Founded in 1914, the R.E. Olds Foundation is the oldest family/private foundation in the state of Michigan. It began as the Ransom Fidelity Company by R.E. Olds, the automotive pioneer who founded Olds Motor Works and REO Motorcar Company, for his growing philanthropic endeavors in his home of Lansing, Michigan as well as globally. In 2004, it was renamed the R.E. Olds Foundation, by the fourth generation of family members. The foundation continues to reflect the philanthropic ideals of Ransom Eli Olds and maintain the family name for the tri-county region in Michigan.
Mission Statement: The R.E. Olds Foundation is committed to the Greater Lansing community through the support of community-based education programs, focusing on youth and families, animal welfare, and environment issues.
- Grants are made to 501(c)(3) organizations in the Greater Lansing, Michigan area.
- Typical grants range up to $10,000.
- We offer challenge grants to encourage nonprofits to broaden and strengthen their fundraising.
- Due to the enormous needs and limited funds, grant support focuses on community-based education programs that benefit children and families, animal welfare, and environmental issues.
- We generally do not supply building or endowment funding, college scholarships, individual aid, or salaries/benefits line items.